Matru ka mandola at Kashid Beach
Alibag is fort cum sea destination, just ~70 kms from Navi Mumbai’s Airoli. It is Mumbaikar’s THE destination for the weekend & holiday’s.
Kashid is again a sleepy, but beautiful beach town further south of Alibag & is perfect for a peaceful weekend.
HOW TO GO ?
Route (1): Mumbai or Navi Mumbai- Vashi- palm beach road-hit JNPT road (Uran Road)- Chimer- NH-17-Pen- Vadhkhal- (Alibag road) Poinad- Alibag-Kurul- Nagaon-Revdanda-Wandeli-Kashid
Approx driving time: 2/2.5 hours. Toll: two times: Rs 25+15
Alternate route (2): Mumab/Navi Mumbai- Thane Belapur road- Panvel expressway- Nh-17- Pen- Vadhkhal- (Alibag road) Poinad- Alibag-Kurul- Nagaon-Revdanda-Wandeli-Kashid
Approx driving time: 2.5/3 hrs Toll: Rs 25 + 15
Navi Mumbai to Alibag-Kashid
Route-2 will have traffic for most of the part, so route-1 is a preferred route, as traffic will be least with some descent quality of roads, only exception being the 17kms stretch of NH-17, which frequently have traffic jams.
But for route-1, you need Google map app in your phone for guidance (or need to ask localites : very few in numbers), as there is hardly any civilisation is some 30 Kms stretch. Also guide boards are missing in critical junctions.
For route-1, it’s better to get all necessary supplies like water, light snacks & fuel for vehicle.
Best & the most convenient way is own personal vehicle. Road is quite good for a bike trip as well.
– Public transport (buses) is few & not the best for a holiday mood. Trains are there only till Pen & so from there one has to hire taxi.
What to take along with you?
– Bathing/swimming costumes (with spares) for sea bath.
– Ball, volleyball, football for sea sports.
– Sun screen lotion for beauty conscious people
– Sunglasses, cap for style.
– Polythene for carrying wet clothes or saving valuable from getting wet.
– Extra polythene (in good numbers) to segregate your garbage
– Camera, money & some vacation spirit.
A sleepy town which gets hyperactive on weekends & holidays because of tourist traffic coming from Mumbai & Pune. There are two main attractions of the town: beach famous for sun set & fort which stands in middle of sea, but still is quite accessible by foot. Many Bollywood films have been shot here.
There are quite a number of hotels & resorts, but booking in peak season (& extended weekends) starts months before.
– Town has all that would be a needed a tourist town, but all in short supply.
– ATM, restaurants, hotels are there. Sanman restaurant is famous for local Malwani cuisine (fish is staple food)
– Public toilet & bathing facility is absent in beach
What to do in town?
– It’s good for a day trip. Besides beach walk, one may enjoy a horse ride on beach (Rs 100 per person on sharing basis)
– Sunset is what Alibag is most visited for. So beach is crowded in evening.
– It has got few water sports option, but it’s not worth.
– In low tides, beach recess by some 2 kms, leaving wet solid sand, with photogenic sand patterns. This is when one can walk to fort Colaba.
– Fort Colaba is some 400 years old fort built by Marathas to defend against enemies coming from sea. It is some 1 km inside the sea & is assessable bare foot or by horse ride during low tides. The fort is worth spending few hours.
– Alibag beach water is not for bathing, first because of pollution & second because it is very silent. The sea got hardly any powerful waves coming.
– Magnetic observatory (2 kms from beach) is another place to visit, if time permits.
– If want to get away from crowded Alibag beach, just head north or south wards & you will get less crowded sea shore.
– Eat in Sanman restaurant, famous for Malwani cuisine. For non-vegetarians, sea food is must here.
– Explore Revdanda fort
– Korlai fort
– Wandeli beach
Rocky part of Kashid Beach
– Just head 32 kms south of Alibag & you get a beautiful & very pleasant Kashid beach.
– The Alibag to Kashid stretch is dotted with sea resorts & sea facing hotels. Roads is descent, but only when it is not crowded.
– Kashid also gets filled up in weekends & holiday season. So booking in advance is good.
– Kashid has got relatively more options (& better) for stay, compared to Alibag, so it is better to do a night halt in Kashid, rather in Alibag.
– ATM is rare & credit cards mostly un-acceptable for obvious reasons.
– There are many beaches in Kashid & one can easily avoid the more crowded beach. The best one is one near Kashid Beach villa.
– We stayed in Sai krupa guest house (rating: 5/5), near Kashid beach Villa. It was neat & clean with excellent home-made food & service. They charged Rs 1200 for 5 people in one big room. It has got parking, hot water & eating facility.
Hotel Sai krupa, Kashid
What to do in Kashid?
– Water sports, Bullock ride (Rs 100), Camel ride(Rs 100), Horse ride(Rs 100)…it’s all there on menu.
– Water sports like water bike, Banana ride (150per person) etc. are available.
– Dirt bikes are also available.
– Do Bargain all these sports & rides.
– Eat on local Malwani cuisine & sea food.
Further south of Kashid, is another beach resort called Murud, whose details will be given, once I visit. So till then happy vacation & safe journey.
OUR TRIP (2nd & 3rd Feb-2013):
Who all: Me, Manish, Ganesh, Abanish & Shivraju.
In? : Ganesh’s horse: Tata Indica
Trip Meter: ~250 kms.
Driving time: Saturday-4:00 pm to 6:30 pm: to reach Alibag. Then 8pm to 9:15 pm to reach Kashid.
– Night halt in Kashid (Hotel Sai krupa near Kashid beach Villa)
– Ate (not me) some mouth watering fish (Pomplet & kasturi) & Malwani thali.
– Next day played Beach volleyball (rented ball for Rs 50 per hour) for 3 hours & then bathing. The beach was neat & clean with relatively calm sea waves. Biggest advantage, it was less crowded & so very peaceful & neat.
– Lunched again on Malwani thali & started towards Mumbai by 2:30 PM. Reached our destination in Airoli by 5:30PM.
– Overall it was a very relaxing weekend with friends, with only one regret: I couldn’t avoid littering by my friends.
– Overall 8/10 to this vacation (would have been 10/10 had we not done littering). THANKS YOU friends, wish such more in future.
The troupe relaxing in Kashid
1) Alibag is getting dirtier n dirtier because of our Littering habits. Please avoid littering. Segregate & use dustbin.
2) Roads are narrow with frequent patches, so drive responsibly
3) Boozing is okay, until you are on your own. Littering after boozing, creating nuisance is not a sign of a civilized person. Please avoid. It is a big problem in whole of this stretch.
4) Please respect local food, customs & traditions.
So at last, BE A EXPLORATIVE & NOT EXPLOITIVE TOURIST. WISH U A HAPPY & SAFE VACATION.